Hi! I’m Bob. I am a New York City-based technology entrepreneur, biohacker, and self-quantification geek focused on the intersection of data-driven citizen science, health and wellness, human performance, longevity, and personal optimization.
Why I Started This Site
I started blogging back in 2012 originally just as a way to document some of my early data-driven self-experiments as I set out on my self-optimization journey. I could have never have imagined it would eventually reach and inspire hundreds of thousands of others from all over the world!
Hack. Track. Analyze. Optimize. Rinse. Repeat.
“Hack, track, analyze, optimize, rinse, repeat,” comes from my background in software development, where concepts such as iterative software development and “lean startup” methodology have emerged. I seek to not only continuously gain new insights about myself, but to also challenge and evolve any previously held beliefs.
While we all seek to gain and share our knowledge for the larger good, we need to realize that we are all different, and our paths to personal optimization are individualized. We are all n=1 (“N-of-1”) single participant trials. In other words, your mileage may vary.
What You’ll Find on This Site…
Here you’ll find more information about my background, ways to work with me (consulting, coaching, etc.) as well as how to connect for media and speaking opportunities.
These are mostly long-form posts documenting many of my self-experiments, which I’ve organized into the following categories:
- Body: diet, fasting, lab testing, exercise, sleep, etc.
- Environment: air quality, water quality, radiation (EMF), detox, etc.
- Mind: memory, cognition, nootropics, etc.
- Lifestyle: stress, travel, personality, relationships, etc.
- Tech/Tools: wearables, biohacking tools, apps, measurement devices, etc.
- Data: data visualizations, exploring my personal data, etc.
You can also click on the magnifying glass in the upper right to search for a specific topic of interest.
This area contains a comprehensive repository of biohacking, self-quantification, and self-optimization products, services, and resources. These are products I either own, have owned/used, or have researched, organized into the following categories:
- Lab Tests: blood and urine testing services, gut/microbiome testing, DNA/genetic testing, biological age testing, etc.
- Diet and Nutrition: supplements, foods, coffees and teas, etc.
- Mind: brain training tools and apps, assessment tools, nootropics, neurofeedback, etc.
- Environment: air quality monitors and purifieres, water quality testing and filtration, EMF meters and protection, etc.
- Sleep: sleep enhancement tools, sleep tracking apps, blue light protection, etc.
- Training and Recovery: saunas, exercise devices, light therapy, recovery tools, etc.
- By Goal: stress management, travel/jet lag, longevity/anti-aging, etc.
If you’d like to receive periodic updates about ways to optimize yourself using science, technology, and data (typically once or twice per quarter), I highly recommend subscribing to my newsletter! (You can view my newsletter archives here.)
Media and Talks
My self-optimization journey has offered many opportunities to share my experiences on a number of TV news and documentary programs, leading health and wellness podcasts, in magazines, and as a speaker at international conferences.
Disclaimer: This site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute the practice of medicine, nursing or other professional health care services, including the giving of medical advice, and no health care provider/patient relationship is formed. The use of information on this blog or materials linked from this blog is at the user’s own risk. The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Users should not disregard, or delay in obtaining, medical advice for any medical condition they may have, and should seek the assistance of their health care professionals for any such conditions.